New Delhi: Who can forget the dialogue deliveries, sets and the aura of Devdas?
‘Devdas’, one of the most iconic love stories ever made in Bollywood completed 14 years today. Devdas is still remembered as one of the finest executed dream projects of director Sanjay Leela Bhansali. The movie is also remembered as Shah Rukh’s best performance in his entire career.
As this remarkable movie completes 14 years, we would like to present fourteen surprising facts, we are sure you didn’t know:
1) The lead role of Devdas was first offered to Salman Khan; he refused and the role eventually went to Shah Rukh Khan. There are no second thoughts that King Khan gave his career’s best performance in the movie.
2) Shah Rukh won the Filmfare best actor award for Devdas in the year 2002.
3) It took a week’s time to write the popular song ‘Dola Re Dola’ that had Madhuri and Aishwarya sway in the musical.
4) The outfit worn by Madhuri Dixit in the song 'Kahe Chedd Mohe' weighed 30 kilograms.
5) It took two-and-a-half years to compose the music of the movie.
6) The film was included in Time Magazine's top 10 movies of the millennium worldwide.
7) A whopping Rs 20 crore were spent to build just half a dozen sets of the movie.
8) 1.22 lakh pieces of stained glass were used to make Paro's room.
9) A multi-dimensional set inspired by the Dilwara temples in Rajasthan has been used in the movie.
10) Each of Madhuri Dixit’s costume cost around Rs 15 lakh and Aishwarya's between 10 and 12 lakh.
11) To achieve Shah Rukh Khan’s Oxford-returned look his clothes were purchased from vintage stores in London.
12) During the song ‘Dola Re Dola’, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's ears began to bleed due to the heavy earrings she had to wear in the song.
13) At a budget of Rs 50 crore, Devdas was the most expensive Bollywood film made during that time.
14) The movie managed worldwide business of around Rs 100 crore.
Devdas will always b special.Thank u Bhansali… the beautiful ladies & every1.Late nites..long shoots &so much love. pic.twitter.com/aPnLBQ8pyy
— Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk) July 11, 2016