Mumbai: Veteran Bollywood actor Tabassum Hashmi popularly known as Tabu was born on November 4. Today we are celebrating Tabu’s 45th birthday.
Tabu is the niece of Shabana Azmi, one of the most acclaimed actresses and social activists of Bollywood, and the sister of actress Farah Khan.
On the occasion of her birthday, we refresh your memory with five of the most stellar performance of the birthday girl.
1. Haider: In Vishal Bhardwaj directorial Hiader which is the adaptation of William Shakespeare’s Hamlet Tabu is seen playing the role of Hamlet’s mother Gertude as Ghazala, mother to Haider. Though Shahid Kapoor played the lead role in the movie, Tabu stole the show.
2. Maqbool: This is an adaptation of William Shakespeare’s Macbeth by Vishal Bhardwaj. Tabu did full justice to the role of Lady Macbeth as Nimmi, the don’s lonely mistress.
3. The Namesake: In the adaptation of Jhumpa Lahiri’s book The Namesake, Tabu excelled opposite Irrfan Khan. Like the book the movie is based on Bengali immigrants to New York in the US where Tabu played Ashima Ganguli, wife to Irrfan’s Ashoke Ganguli, and mother to Gogol (Kal Penn).
4. Cheeni Kum: Tabu with her role opposite Amitabh Bachchan stole everyone’s heart. Nina played by Tabu is one of the rarest combinations of an attractive woman with a mind of her own.
5. Chandni Bar: Chandni Bar actually got more recognition for the director, Madhur Bhandarkar because of the way Tabu played out her role of a poor girl who ends up as a bar dancer owing to circumstances.
First Published | 4 November 2016 4:14 PM