Karwa Chauth is a ritual in practice from ages and every time it comes around, crores of Hindu women across the globe brace themselves for a day-long fast. But trends in a fast-paced life have a very short span and it seems like young Indians are open to more possibilities of how Karva Chauth should be celebrated. According to a survey, husbands respect the efforts of their wives and would not even mind fasting along with their better halves but an overwhelming majority just want to see a change in this fasting ritual.

Recently, a survey was conducted by matrimonial giant Shaadi.com, 93% of men voted to say they do not want their wives fasting for them on the occasion of Karwa Chauth. These men also stated that they would rather prefer to celebrate it in a different manner. The sample size of the survey was 6,500 who were in the age group ranging from 24 to 40 years.

Also in another online poll, the matchmaking website asked the male participants if they would like to fast with their wives during the auspicious day of Karva Chauth and an incredible 61% of them said ‘Yes’. While the remaining 39% were of the opinion that women should fast alone. But in a clear indication of a change in mindsets, Indian youth don’t mind breaking the age-old rituals and mixing it with some fun.

On being asked how they would like to celebrate the eve of Karwa Chauth, 50% of them preferred spending some quality time together with their wives. Some 23% wanted to take the day off and go to a romantic candlelight dinner while 8% of the participants said they would take a vacation rather than celebrating Karva Chauth old style.

Shaadi.com hold these surveys every year where registered members take part in it and in the last three years, more than five lakh tradition-defying votes have been registered so far.

First Published | 7 October 2017 5:46 PM
Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News. For News in English, follow us on