Today is Karwa Chauth, and thanks to Karan Johar and Yash Chopra, no one is unaware about the importance and significance of the festival. On Karwa Chauth married woman from across the world fast for the safety and longevity of lives of their husbands. This year, the religious festival is being celebrated on October 8, 2017, Sunday. All the woman keeping Karwa Chauth fast, wake up early in the morning before sunrise to eat sargi, which is a meal usually prepared by their mothers in law – mostly consists of Vermicelli, milk and dry fruits. After eating in the morning, women cannot consume or drink anything till the moon appears.
As the times are changing, the priorities are also shifting. The days of women keeping Karwa Chauth for their husbands are long gone; these days women keep Karwa Chauth fast to keep fit. As we all know that fasting offers perfect health benefits and there are several theories backing it. It is also a perfect way to detox one’s body. In fact, fasting seems a quick way to drop those extra pounds quickly, which is also one of the reasons why unmarried women eagerly wait for Karwa Chauth. Fasting helps your body reach the fat-burning state, which helps in weight loss.
However, fasting for a whole day can put a lot of pressure on body. Surviving a whole day without water, food could also make the body weak and dehydrated, cause acidity and stomach gas, and even lower the blood pressure. But don’t worry, as we said, we got your back!
Here’s how you can lose those extra pounds while fasting:
Steps to follow before starting the Karwa Chauth fast
1) Do not overeat before starting the fast.
2) Consume meals in small patches before fasting
3) Avoid hard digesting food — red meat, fried chicken — in your earlier meals.
4) Control the intake limit of simple carbohydrates, such as white sugar, salt and coffee, as they dehydrate the body very fast.
5) Include at least one fruit and nuts like almonds, walnuts, etc.
6) Drink plenty of water prior to the fast to keep the body hydrated
Steps to follow after the Karwa Chauth fast
1) Since the person has been fasting for over 12 hours, one should start with sips of water or fresh fruits and vegetable juice.
2) Include protein rich foods as they will help in dealing with hunger.
3) Make sure to include a bowl of plain curd in your diet.
4) Avoid oily foods, alcohol, caffeinated drinks
5) Do not over eat