Save skin, hair with shea butter
| Wednesday, December 9, 2015 - 11:09
New Delhi: Skin rash or dryness or damaged hair? Reach out for shea butter, says an expert.
Aashmeen Munjaal, owner of the capital-based Star Salon n' Spa, has shared the qualities and benefits of shea butter.
Shea butter is an off-white or ivory-coloured fat extracted from the nut of the African shea tree. It is widely used in cosmetics as a moisturizer, salve or lotion.
* Therapeutic properties: It is effective for curing skin problems such as rashes, tanning, stretch marks, burns and muscle fatigue.
* Antioxidant qualities: Shea butter consists of many antioxidants such as vitamins A and E. The vitamins protect the cells from free radicals and environmental damage. It keeps the skin feel moisturized and protects skin from harmful UV rays.
* For healthy skin: Shea butter is considered to be as a super food for the skin. It is suitable for sensitive skin and scars. It also speeds up the cell renewal.
* Healing properties: It is often used as a base in medicinal ointments due to its healing properties. It helps in improving skin discolouration, chapped lips, stretch marks and dark spots. Due to the presence of vitamin A, it is beneficial in promoting healing and disinfection; and soothes skin allergies like insect bites. It is suitable for people with dry and sensitive skin.
* Anti-ageing benefits: It rejuvenates the production of collagen. It keeps the skin nourished and radiant.
* Baby care: Shea butter is an excellent natural moisturiser without any harmful chemical content. It can be used for after-bath application on skin and also for healing diaper rash.
* Lip care: It provides extra moisture needed during cold season and dry weather. Thus, it acts as a perfect lip balm and is effective for treating dry and chapped lips.
* For hair care: As shea butter is rich in moisture and various minerals; it provides a natural shield to the hair against harmful UV rays and it also acts as a conditioner for tresses.
Some of the numerous benefits of shea butter for hair are given below.
- Soothes dry, flaky scalp: Shea butter can do wonders for hair that has been damaged by colouring, blow-drying and pollution. It is equally effective in soothing a dry itchy scalp or dandruff. It also protects the hair against salt and chlorine when applied before swimming.
- Hair softener: As shea butter is non-greasy in nature, it is great for softening dry, damaged and brittle hair. One can get soft tresses by massaging the hair with generous amounts of it. Shea butter should be applied twice a week for hair growth, improving hair texture and moisturizing the hair.