New Delhi: Home Minister Rajnath Singh while addressing parliament today, updated the parliamentarians about the Chennai floods and apprised them of the rain situation in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Andhra Pradesh.
Here are some of the points that HM Rajnath Singh touched upon during his address:
- The MeT department has predicted heavy rainfall for the next 2-3 days.
- About 40% of mobile and telephone connections are not working due to the flood situation in the city.
- Due to the rising water levels in some areas, the power supply has been temporarily cut off.
- PM Narendra Modi who has left for Chennai will do an aerial view of the city and assess the situation after which appropriate steps will be taken.
- Seven columns of the army have been deployed for relief operations; 4 more columns are being planned to be airlifted to the affected areas.
- The Chennai Railway station has been shut due to water logging. Meanwhile the Indian Railways is working on the nearest routes to Chennai where the trains can once again be made functional.
- A total of Rs. 509.25 crores has already been released to Tamil Nadu for the year 2015-2016 from the government.
- Of the 30 teams of NDRF, 2 have been deployed in Puducherry.
- The death toll so far has reached 269 with 54 deaths reported in Andhra Pradesh