Bollywood superstar Salman Khan who is facing strong charges of killing one person and injuring four by ramming his car into them in 2002 faces the witness box on Friday to record his statement.
It certainly was a crucial time for the ‘Dabangg’ actor as he now got an opportunity to offer his version about the accident that occurred more than a decade ago. On September 28, 2002, Khan allegedly ran over people sleeping on the pavement outside a bakery in suburban Bandra by his car in the wee hours.
Khan was summoned by Judge DW Deshpande to appear before the court on March 27 to give his statement under Section 313 of CrPc.
While the prosecution maintains that Khan at the time of the accident, the accused was under serious consumption of alcohol, an eye-witness who apparently met Salman Khan few hours after the accident told the court last November, that the report from the prosecution is untrue.
Salman Khan after recording his statement in the court today will also get a chance to examine the define witnesses if he is willing to. The court will then hear the arguments from both the ends before announcing the decision.
While the actor had moved an application to ban the media during the recording of his statement in the case revolving around him in session court, it was rejected by Judge DW Deshpande who then directed media to report only after the recording of Salman’s entire statement comes to an end.
Here are the highlights of the hearing:
- Salman Khan says he was not driving the car at the time of the incident
- My driver was driving the car, says Salman Khan
- Ashok Singh (Driver) was driving. He event went to the police station but the police did not take his statement: Salman
- False case filed against me: Salman Khan
- Car did climb three stairs and there was dent in the shutter
- After the incident, my driver Ashok got out of the car, says Salman
- I had to climb from my side to driver side to get out of the car, he said.
- I asked my driver Ashok to inform police: Salman
- My driver called the Police to inform about the incident: Salman
- I remained on the spot for 15 minutes and more, Khan said
- I had gone from the spot after injured were taken to the hosp: Salman
- A False report is filed with Patil’s signature: Khan
- I was not driving and I was not under the influence of alcohol, Salman repeats
- My driver named Ashok was seated on the driving seat while I was on the left seat (of the driver). Police bodyguard Ravindra Patil was seated behind Ashok and Kamaal Khan was sitting next to Patil.
- Court shows the pictures of the car involved in the accident, Salman identifies
- I want to examine a witness, says Salman
- It is a false case against me, he said.
- I do not want to examine myself but examine witness for defence: Salman
- Salman accepts of being at a party with brother Sohail Khan before the accident but denies of consuming alcohol there. “I only had water there,” he said adding that the bills indicating consumption of food and alcohol were not his.
- “Munnu (witness) said you were drunk and fell down and then got up and fell again?” Court asked! Salman replied, “False”.
- Case adjourned till Monday