Police security for Shah Rukh, Aamir Khan downgraded

| Friday, January 8, 2016 - 18:50
First Published |
Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan

Mumbai: Mumbai Police has downgraded security cover for superstars Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan and scrapped it for some others following an audit on threat perceptions, an official said on Friday.

Described as "routine", the annual review of threat perceptions has concluded that some film celebrities did not warrant the kind of security cover accorded to them.

Accordingly, Shah Rukh and Aamir Khan will now be entitled to two armed constables in two shifts, reduced from the earlier round-the-clock security by four armed constables and an escort vehicle.

The two had been provided 24x7 security after controversies following their comments on "intolerance" and increased threat perceptions to their lives, the official said.

(Also Read: People free to leave country; it will reduce population: Adityanath)

Until now, police provided security to around 40 personalities including director Rajkumar Hirani, Farah Khan, Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Ali Morani and Karim Morani. These have been totally withdrawn.

Besides the two Khans, security cover will continue for singer Bharat Ratna Lata Mangeshkar, actors Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan and Akshay Kumar, directors Mahesh Bhatt and his brother Mukesh Bhatt and a few others.

Following this move by Mumbai Police, Aamir Khan suppported their initiative and said, "I completley endorse the move by the Mumbai Police to reduce the security around me. The police personnel can be put to better use in securing the city. If and when the Mumbai Police feel the need to increase my security, they will. I trust them completely".

(Also Watch: Rewind 2015: A Year of Intolerance)

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.