Fire breaks out during 'Make In India' cultural show in Mumbai

| Monday, February 15, 2016 - 03:43
First Published |
Fire at Make in India Week
Mumbai: A massive fire on Sunday evening engulfed the stage during a cultural extravaganza at the 'Make In India Week' event here, officials said.
The blaze broke out around 8:22 pm during a 'Lavani' dance performance at the mega event at Girgaum, the BMC Disaster Control said. Though the fire was brought under control swiftly by 14 fire engines and 10 water tankers, the stage was completely destroyed. Fortunately there were no casualties and no one was injured. 
Maharashtra Governor C.V. Rao, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and his wife Amruta Fadnavis, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and his wife Rashmi Thackeray, actors Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan, ministers, parliamentarians, legislators, and other prominent personalities witnessing the performance were shifted to safer places. The audience present at the venue were quickly evacuated too. 
Though the BMC said the fire could have been caused by an electric short-circuit, there were reports that the fire was caused by firecrackers. The stage made up of wood and cloth was immediately engulfed by the fire. The sea breeze caused the fire to spread quickly and soon the stage was gutted.


Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.