New Delhi: Traffic in Lutyens’ Delhi is expected to witness massive traffic jams today, with more than 20,000 weddings scheduled in the city along with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s World Cultural Festival and an event hosted by Radha Soami Satsang Beas, Delhi.
The roads that are expected to add to Delhi’s traffic woes include the Ring Road stretch in South Delhi, Noida Link Road, NH-24, areas near Akshardham, Mayur Vihar, Mehrauli-Badarpur Road, Ashram Chowk, Aurobindo Marg, Mahipalpur Chowk and Mehrauli-Gurgaon road — all considered major arteries and intersections in South and East Delhi. Delhi Police has issued an advisory to motorists to avoid these stretches during the three-day World Culture Festival and the RSSB event.
Though some parking arrangements have been made on the Yamuna Bank, due to limited space, the parking will be on a first-come-first-served basis.
Senior police officials have also urged commuters to avoid Bhati Mines, Andheria More, Mehrauli-Gurgaon Road, Mehrauli-Badarpur Road, especially the stretch between Lado Sarai and Khanpur, and the road near IIT-Delhi as heavy traffic jams may occur here.
Commuters have been advised to preferably use public transport as far as possible and avoid the Noida Link Road, NH-24 and the Ring Road stretch from the point of intersection with Bhairon Marg till the mouth of the DND Flyway.
Motorists approaching from the Trans-Yamuna side towards Central Delhi, should preferably use the ITO Road as Akshardham and NH-24 will be congested. Congestion can be expected on these stretches between 12 noon and 11 pm.
Here are some of the suggested routes by Delhi Traffic Police:
1. From Badarpur/Faridabad to Kashmere Gate: ISBT – Mathura Road – Ashram – Jangpura -Sundar Nagar – Pragati Maidan – I.T.O. -B.S.Z. Marg – Delhi Gate – Raj Ghat – I.S.B.T. & vice versa.
2. From Noida to Kashmere Gate/North Delhi: Internal Road of East Delhi – New Patparganj Road (Mother Dairy Road) – T-Point Laxmi Nagar (Vikas Marg) – Geeta Colony Flyover – Shanti Van – Ring Road Bypass- Salimagarh Fort – Yamuna Bazar – I.S.B.T.
3. From Noida to South Delhi/New Delhi/West Delhi: Greater Noida Expressway – Mahamaya flyover-Kalindi Kunj – Road No 13A Mathura Road – Modi Mill Flyover – Outer Ring Road.
4. From East Delhi to AIIMS/South Delhi: NH24 – Ghazi Pur Chowk – Road No.57 – Karkari More – Vikas Marg – I.P. Marg -Tilak Marg – C-Hexagon – Shahjahan Road – Prithvi Raj Marg – Aurobindo Marg – AIIMS
5. From Noida to Central Delhi: Internal road of East Delhi – New Patparganj Road – Y-point Laxmi Nagar – Vikas Marg – I.P. Marg – Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg.