NEW DELHI: After a 56-day sabbatical, Congress Vice-Prseident Rahul Gandhi addresses the farmers at Kisan rally along with the party President Sonia Gandhi over the Land Acquisition Bill at Ramlila Ground in the national capital on Sunday.
The Kisan rally held at Ramila Ground is being widely seen as a show of strength for a party desperate to reverse its sliding fortunes after a string of election drubbings.
Here are the Live Updates:
12:45 PM: Sonia Gandhi addresses rally at Ramlila Ground
• You are suffering, but you have still come in large numbers, says Sonia Gandhi
• You have fought for your land and worked for it: Sonia Gandhi
• We have come together to tell PM that 'enough is enough': Sonia Gandhi
• We will not allow them to take your land, says Sonia
• The government seems to be trying to steal farmers' livelihoods, says Sonia
• Farmers made this nation strong: Sonia Gandhi
• Government has left farmers to suffer in adverse conditions, says Sonia
• Farmers' suffering increasing day by day, says Sonia
• Modi insulting farmers who are suffering, says Sonia at Kisan Rally
• Their laws can ensure you have no land: Sonia Gandhi
• Farmers have realised that government gives false hope, says Sonia
• Their laws do not help the backward: Sonia Gandhi
• Farmers facing so many difficulties because of government, says Sonia
12:20 PM: Rahul Gandhi addresses Kisan Rally at Ramlila Ground
• Manmohan Singh government was pro-poor, says Rahul Gandhi
• Congress government waived off all loans for poor, says Rahul
• Congress government extended loans at lower rates: Rahul Gandhi at Kisan Rally
• Modi government is anti-farmer, they don't care about the poor: Rahul Gandhi while addressing farmers
• Congress'2013 bill was pro-poor: Rahul Gandhi
• I am not back, I never went away, says Rahul Gandhi
• Rahul sharpens attack on Modi, says "Farmers dying, Modi offers N-bomb. Your PM is mocking your deaths."
• Rahul: Why is Modi government not listening to farmers' voice?
• In Haryana, there was a lathicharge on farmers, says Rahul
• They claim to be pro-farmer and then beat them up, says Rahul
• UPA introduced schemes to save debt-ridden farmers, says Rahul
• I will not compromise with BJP, says Rahul
• Was saddened by Modi's comment on clearing garbage of 50 years, says Rahul
• Our land is gold: Rahul Gandhi
• Rahul: How can BJP think they can steal land so easily?
• If farmers treat their land like their mother, you will benefit, says Rahul
• ‘Make In India’ will not be successful, it's a dream, says Rahul
• Only your land will be stolen: Rahul Gandhi
• UPA demanded an audit into compensation for farmers' land, says Rahul
12:07 PM: Congress top brass receive Rahul
12:05 PM: Rahul, Sonia arrive at Ramlila Ground
11:30 AM: Rahul Gandhi leaves for Sonia Gandhi's residence
10:15 AM: BJP, Congress clash over Rahul Gandhi's rally. People hired to attend rally, says BJP. But, Congress rejects BJP's charge.
10:07 AM: Sources: Rahul Gandhi does not want to compromise with BJP in Parliament
10:05 AM: 45 Congress MLAs were involved in rally preparations
9:20 AM: Many believe that the Kisan rally has become a prestige issue for Congress
9:18 AM: Farmers from Haryana, Rajasthan, Up & Punjab are most likely to attend
9:15 AM: Congress leaders expect over one lakh people to attend the Kisan rally
9:07 AM: Heavy security deployed at Ramlila Ground
9:05 AM: Farmers assemble in large numbers at Ramlila ground