Death toll reaches three in Kashmir firing incident

| Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:51
First Published |
Death in Kashmir

Trouble erupted after locals alleged that a girl had been molested by an army | Photo: IANS

Srinagar: The toll from a firing incident in Jammu and Kashmir's Kupwara district rose to three on Wednesday as another critically injured civilian has died, officials said.

Doctors at the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) in Srinagar said Raja Begum, 54, who had been admitted to the super specialty hospital on Tuesday, succumbed to a critical bullet injury.

Twenty-two year old Muhammad Iqbal and 21-year old Nayeem Bhat had died on Tuesday after clashes erupted in Handwara town between the security forces and a stone pelting mob.

Trouble erupted after locals alleged that a girl had been molested by an army in the town.

(Also Read: Two youth allegedly killed in army firing in Handwara, Jammu and Kashmir)

Authorities have imposed curfew in Handwara town where tension has increased further after reports of death of another civilian reached the town.

Following appeals for a valley-wide shutdown by separatist leaders to protest Handwara firing, authorities on Wednesday imposed restrictions in six police station areas of Rainawari, Nowhatta, Khanyar, MR Gunj, Safa Kadal and Maisuma in Srinagar city on Wednesday.

District Magistrate Srinagar, Farooq Ahmad Lone has said the imposed restrictions will not apply to the members of the Sikh community who are free to move about in areas placed under restrictions because of the Sikh festival of Baisakhi.

The burial of the two youth killed on Tuesday has still not taken place and it is expected the burial would take place on Wednesday.

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.