Chennai: With stakes high in poll-bound Tamil Nadu state, where every party is looking to create the impression of being most clean, pro-development and pro-people, NewsX got to speak to Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK)’s Chief Captain Vijayakanth’s wife Premalatha Vijayakanth, who opens up ahead of the forthcoming assembly elections in the state.
Here are the pointers of Premalatha Vijayakanth’s first TV interview:
* Pointing out at Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK), Vijayakanth said that they are buying her party people. Vaiko’s startling behaviour has not weakened the party.
* We will surely prove to be the alternative to the Dravidian parties. We want to bring in a change like Nitish Kumar did in Bihar.
* Stalin is responsible for taking away a few people from our party. He tried to break us after we refused an alliance with them; these cadre went for money and power.
* DMK Chief Karunanidhi is a respectable leader but without holding talks with us he gave interviews to the media that we are likely to join. We wonder why he did that. DMK and its leaders spread rumours about the alliance.
* We joined All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) because we hoped Jayalalithaa would do good; but she let us down. That is why there was a quarrel in the assembly. She has not done anything for Tamil Nadu. I don’t have anything personal against her.
* Both AIADMK and DMK have corruption charges against them.
* We just held talks with the BJP but wanted to go alone in state assembly.
* We are shocked that Vaiko withdrew from the contest. That’s his personal opinion. Captain and others spoke to him but he was strong. But this move has not weakened our alliance. We will continue together.
* Criticism about Vijayakanth’s behaviour is not correct. Opposition parties are planting memes on social media because they don’t have anything against him. Vijayakanth speaks his heart out which is seen as anger because he is provoked.
* We do not rule out post-poll alliance, but let’s wait for this election to get over.
* On joining hands with likeminded parties at the national level, we will decide that in future. Let’s wait.