Imphal: Two shutdown calls have crippled normal life across Manipur-one by the Joint Action Committee (JAC)s of Kakwa and Lilong in protest against the slow pace of investigation into the recent mysterious death of Sagolsem Prashanta paralyzed life in Imphal and nearby valley districts, and the other by the JCILPS over a government’s refusal to implement the ILP system in Manipur.
People and vehicles have been faced with blockades.
“Calling of bandhs are not good at all. However calling for ILP then we support it. Yes we daily bread earner suffer, on consideration for our future for we indigenous people , calling bandh for two days or so is good,” said a woman vendor at Ima Market
The public curfew of the JCILPS which came into force from midnight yesterday which aimed at piling the pressure on the State Government to get the three Bills, passed on August 31 last year into Acts, has added more intensity at the public curfew.
Many public curfew supporters are seen burning tyres in the mid of the roads. JCILPS had announced their public curfew to denounce Government’s delaying tactics in implementing the ILP system in Manipur from midnight of May 5 till 6 pm of May 7.
“We want to appeal at JCILPS, that the Three Bills have been passed by the Manipur Government, and the bills are lying at the Centre Delhi. Why don’t they go at Delhi and pursue the matter, and want to ask why they are calling bandhs around here. Go to Delhi and stage protest out there. When Irom Sharmila can go at Delhi and staged her protest, why not them, as being an organization,” said Gurumayum Ranjit Sharma, Local
JCILPS, has also asked all the political parties in the state to announce whether they would allow non-locals to contest in the ensuing Imphal Municipal Corporation election slated for June this year. Moreover, the political parties must also spell out their stance on deleting the names of non-locals from voter lists before the election, he said.
JCILPS and the State Government had inked a seven-point agreement last year, and the State Government has failed to take up any step regarding the matter even after eight months since the agreement was inked.