The big takeaways of verdict 2016:
• BJP takes a big leap towards aim of pan-India presence.
• Jayalalithaa makes history by defeating anti-incumbency.
• The big winner is Mamata Banerjee who decimated Left, thumbs up for governance style.
• Jayalalithaa and Mamata could push for national role.
• BJP gains at the expense of Congress in straight contests.
• Big blow to Rahul Gandhi’s leadership and politics.
• Amit Shah consolidates hold over BJP ahead of Uttar Pradesh elections.
• Nitish Kumar’s hopes of being sole leader of anti-NDA front dashed.