New Delhi: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Tuesday appeared before the CBI for questioning in connection with the sting row.
Rawat had earlier said that he would appear before the CBI as he is a law abiding citizen and has nothing to hide on the matter.
“People should not get an impression that I am trying to avoid the investigating agency, so I am going to Delhi for questioning. This is a conspiracy against me, but I believe the entire nation is watching this. And very soon there will be a solution to this conspiracy.
Continuing his tirade against the BJP-led Centre for handing over the matter to the CBI, Rawat said this was done when Uttarakhand was under President’s rule.
“So, the state government has in its wisdom decided to form a SIT and conveyed the same to the Government of India. So, our stand us the same even today,” he added.
The CBI had earlier rejected the notification of the Uttarakhand Government after taking legal opinion which said that there was no ground for its withdrawal.
Earlier on May 20, the Congress government in Uttarakhand decided to constitute a judicial committee to look into various issues, including incidents unfolding after March 17-18 such as horse trading, misuse of agencies and sting operation among others.
Rawat then said that it was in the wider interest of the state that this matter is handed over to a judicial commission.
According to the sting done by a local journalist of Uttarakhand, Rawat is seen offering bribe to some breakaway MLAs to bring them back to support the Congress party during the test vote. Rawat however has maintained his innocence and termed the whole episode a conspiracy to tarnish his image.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had alleged that the sting was proof of unfair means used by the Rawat regime to stay in power.
First Published | 24 May 2016 12:30 PM