BENGALURU: In a big relief to AIADMK Chief J Jayalalithaa, the Karnataka High Court on Monday gave clean chit to former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jaylalithaa against her conviction in 18-year-old disproportionate assets case.
Security was beefed up across Bengaluru and Tamil Nadu ahead of the verdict by a special bench of the High Court.
On September 27, 2014, a trial court in Bengaluru had convicted Jayalalithaa in 18-year-old disproportionate assets case worth Rs. 66 crore and sentence to four-years in jail.
However, last year in October, the apex court had granted interim bail to 67-year-old Jayalalithaa till December 18 and later her bail was subsequently extended till May 12.
Catch the live updates here:
• Amma supporters celebrate on streets outside Poes Garden. Celebrations in Chennai, Delhi and Bengaluru
• Jayalalithaa to be sworn in on May 17
• AIADMK MPs celebrate inside Tamil Nadu Parliament, distribute sweets outside Parliament.
• HC orders release of Jayalalithaa's confiscated assets. Paneerselvam to resign later today
• O. Panneerselvam reaches Jayalalithaa's residence, set to step down as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
• Jayalalithaa and three others acquitted. HC gives clean chit to Jaya in DA case.
• Justice CR Kumaraswamy reaches court
• Security tightened at four points along Karnataka-Tamil Nadu border.
• Police and Jayalalithaa's lawyers indulge in war of words over restriction on entry. Police refuse to allow 15 members inside court. Jayalalithaa to only meet 3 advisors
• Ministers arrive at Poes Garden
• Jaya's lawyers arrive in court. 7 lawyers inside the court room
• Subramaniam Swamy speaks to NewsX, says AIADMK is a den of corruption. Jayalalithaa is corrupt, this is without doubt.
• Big DMK meet kicks off in Chennai. DMK leaders gather at Karunanidhi's residence|
• Fali Nariman likely to be approached, may argue for Jaya in Supreme Court
• Jaya legal team on standby at Supreme Court
• Senior leaders arrive at Jayalalithaa residence
• Tamil Nadu Chief Minister expected to meet Jayalalithaa shortly
• AIADMK seeks divine blessing before the verdict. Special prayers are being conducted across the state