New Delhi: After he resigned from the Rajya Sabha on July 18, Former MP Navjot Singh Sidhu held a press conference for the first time at his CWG residence in New Delhi on Monday.
Speaking to media, Navjot Singh Sidhu said that he resigned from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) because he had been told not to look at Punjab, where elections will be held next year.
The cricketer-turned-politician in his press conference did not mention whether he has quit BJP, joined AAP or wished to be Punjab CM candidate. However, he has made it clear in his speech that he won’t betray Punjab and it people.
Here are the highlights of the speech:
* I resigned because I was told you won’t look towards Punjab. How can Navjot Singh Sidhu leave his people?
* Even a bird comes back to its nest, how can Navjot Sidhu leave his home and his people? How can I not think of Punjab?
* I was told to fight election from Kurukshetra, then West Delhi. I said no, I won’t betray my people.
* Duniya ki koi party Punjab se upar ya badi nahin hai, Navjot Singh Sidhu said after quitting Rajya Sabha.
* Jab Modi sahab ki lehar aayi to virodhi to doobe hi, Sidhu ko bhi dubo diya.
* Jahan Punjab ka hitt hoga, Sidhu ko khadaa paoge: Navjot Singh Sidhu
* Navjot Singh Sidhu ko 100 baar apna parivar, apni party aur Punjab mein se chunna padega toh 100 baar Punjab ko chununga.
* Where Punjab will benefit, you will find me standing there. I only want to serve Punjab & Amritsar.
* If this was the first time I could have still tolerated. This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened.
* Rajya Sabha se isteefa is liye diya kyunki mujhe kaha gaya tha ki Punjab ki taraf mooh nahi karoge.