New Delhi: Soon after Home Minister Rajnath Singh briefed the Rajya Sabha about his speech in the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) conference that was held in Islamabad, here is how leaders in the Upper house responded to Rajnath’s address in Parliament on Friday.
Senior Congress party leader Ghulam Nabi Azad said, “If home minister did not receive respect and honour due to him in Pakistan during his visit as per protocol, we condemn it. If last night's blackout actually happened, then it's a clear indication of dictatorship and not democracy.”
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Chief Sharad Yadav said, “We all saw the way Pakistan did not maintain protocol in the way they treated Home Minister, we are one in condemning it. But there seems to be some discrepancy in what foreign ministry is saying about protocol issues regarding visit.”
Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Ramgopal Yadav said, “Pakistan is not accustomed to politeness. They should be taught a lesson.”
(Also Read: Terrorists cannot be martyrs: HM Rajnath Singh in Rajya Sabha)
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati said, “In wake of recent media reports on behavior of Pakistan, I would urge the Home Minister to speak to the Prime Minister to reconsider strategy on Indo-Pak relations.”
Majeed Menon of the NCP said, “We condemn the protests held all across Pakistan against our Home Minister’s visit.”
Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Subramanian Swamy asked the Home Minister, “They (Pakistan) are now even at official level as high as Prime Minister, daily talking about disintegration of India, Kashmir. I want to ask Home Minister whether he spoke to Pak Prime Minister and told him his own backyard's falling apart, Baloch going in one direction, Sindh in another."
Responding to the queries raised in the Rajya Sabha about his SAARC visit, here’s what Rajnath said:
- It is true that Doordarshan, ANI & PTI reporters who had come from India were not allowed to enter.
- I have no hesitation in saying every Indian PM regardless of whichever party has shown determination in fight against terror.
- I appreciate how all members have spoken in one voice on the issue of terrorism.
- I appreciate the unity of the House against terrorism, it reflects the country's determination to fight terrorism.
- Pak Interior Minister invited everyone for lunch,but then left in his car. I also left then.I have no grudges as I wasn't there to have lunch.
- I will not comment whether Pakistan was right or wrong in not allowing coverage ( of his speech at SAARC summit).
“Unhe jo karna tha unhone kia, mai uss sambandh mein koi pratikriya vyakt nhi karna chahta. Mujhe koi shikwa, shikayat nhi,” Rajnath added.
Ye padosi (Pakistan) hai ki maanta hi nhi: HM Rajnath Singh in Rajya Sabha pic.twitter.com/lWR5Pda1eq
— ANI (@ANI_news) August 5, 2016