New Delhi: A Bihar court on Monday sentenced Gandaman School Principal Meena Devi to ten years imprisonment relating to the 2013 food poisoning incident that resulted in 23 children losing their lives.
The court, on August 25, found the principal guilty of serving poisonous food and convicted her. However, she has been acquitted of criminal conspiracy.
Meena’s husband Arjun Yadav was acquitted of all charges.
On July 16, 2013, 23 students of Gandaman Primary School in Dharmashati Gandaman village in Saran district died and several others fell sick after eating the mid-day meal contaminated with pesticide.
The Bihar government promised a thorough investigation in the incident. In October 2013, the headmistress and her husband were chargesheeted.