DGCA summons Samsung; issues advisory against in-flight use of Samsung Note phones

| Friday, September 23, 2016 - 19:00
First Published |

DGCA summons Samsung

New Delhi: Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) on Friday summoned the South-Korean phone maker Samsung and also issued a strict advisory against the use of this particular series on flights.

The summon was issued after Samsung Galaxy Note 2 caught fire inside an IndiGo aircraft while it was landing in Chennai on Friday.

Two weeks before this incident took place, an advisory was issued that Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones must be kept switched-off and not to be used on board aircraft after a series of reports surfaced regarding the explosion of the phone's battery in other countries.

Speaking on today's horrific incident, the airline said, "IndiGo confirms that a few passengers travelling on 6E-054 flight from Singapore to Chennai noticed the smoke smell in the cabin this morning and immediately alerted the cabin crew on board".

According to IndiGo, the smoke was emitted from a Samsung Note 2 smartphone which was placed in the baggage of a passenger in the overhead bin.

"The crew quickly identified minor smoke coming from the hat-rack of seat 23 C and informed the Pilot-in-Command who further alerted the Air traffic Control (ATC) of the situation on board."

"The crew discharged the fire using an extinguisher as per the Standard Operating Procedures prescribed by the aircraft manufacturer, and quickly transferred the Samsung Note 2 into a container filled with water in lavatory," the statement said.

Further disclosing the matter, the DGCA officials said, "The DGCA has summoned Samsung officials on Monday; Samsung wanted to take away the handset, but we didn't permit. We have asked them to meet us on Monday".

This may be the first incident of Samsung’s battery explosion in a flight in India, but the South Korean giant has already made headlines with the same in other countries.

Earlier this month, a man from Florida, US sued Samsung after a Note 7 device exploded in his pocket while at work in Palm Beach Gardens.

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.