New Delhi: China on Saturday once again defended its second technical hold to prevent a United Nation’s ban on Pakistan based terrorist organisation Jaish-e-Mohammed’s (JeM) chief Masood Azhar saying that there were “different views on India’s application and the Beijing’s move will allow more time for the relevant parties to have consultations.”
Explaining its stand on why it wanted the extension, China’s Foreign Office said that there were still different views on India’s listing application made this march and that the technical hold on it will allow more time for the committee to deliberate on the matter.”
Earlier in the week, briefing the media about India’s continuous efforts to approach United Nations to seek ban on JeM’s chief Masood Azhar, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Vikas Swarup had said, “We have conveyed to the committee (UN) that it’s expected to proscribe Masood Azhar as a terrorist; it will send a dangerous message if it fails to act.”
The External Affairs Ministry spokesperson also briefed about India taking up Masood Azhar’s issue with China. He said that the issue of the Chinese stand on JeM and Masood Azhar is also being taken up with the Chinese government.
Swarup while speaking on China extending its hold on the move to ban Masood Azhar, had also said, “14 countries were on one side and 1 country on the other.”
“On the basis of our submission, it is expected to proscribe Masood Azhar under the 1267 sanctions regime, which will send a strong signal to all terror groups that international community will not pursue or tolerate selective approach to terrorism,” Vikas Swarup added.