Happy Dussehra 2016: 10 things to do on this day to bring good luck
By NewsX Bureau
| Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:50
New Delhi: It’s Dussehra today, the festival of victory of good over evil, truth over untruth. It is this day when Goddess Durga killed the demon Mahishasura.
On this very day only, Lord Rama emerged victorious by killing Raavana and rescuing his wife, Sita.
Let’s have a look at 10 remedies in order to make your year a prosperous and happy one:
• Getting a glimpse of the Indian Roller bird (Neelkanth) is considered very auspicious and promises a happy year ahead.
• Worship the Shami tree on Dussehra. Also, if possible, plant a Shami tree in your house on Dussehra and light lamp before it every day. It is believed that on the day of Dussehra, King Kuber turned the leaves of Shami tree into gold to give it to King Raghu. Since then, Shami tree is considered as a tree leading to prosperity.
• After ‘Raavana Dehan,’ get the leftover of the burnt material to home and keep it in a safe place. It is believed to eliminate negative forces from home.
• On the day of Dussehra, use a red cloth to wipe the feet of Goddess Durga and keep it safely with you. It is believed to bring prosperity and auspiciousness.
• It is believed that Goddess Durga left earth and returned to her original place on the day of Dussehra. Therefore, travelling on this day is considered lucky, whether it be a small distance only.
• Don’t enter into wedlock on Dussehra. It is considered unlucky and will result in an unhappy married life.
• Do not enter into any sinister activity on the day of Dussehra. Indulging in it leads to negative effect on one’s future.
• Cutting trees is also considered to bring ill-fate.
• Do not ill-treat any other living being on the day of Dussehra. Doing this is considered as harming one’s own fortune.
• Women abuse is a strict no. Ill-treating women makes Goddess Durga and Lakshmi furious.