President Xi Jinping said that India and China must step up counter terror efforts, also said that we must maintain our strategic communication, dialogue on it.
- Both sides recognised terrorism as a key issue, President Xi said we should strengthen our security dialogue and partnership.
- PM Modi said that both India and China had been victims of terrorism which was a scourge afflicting the entire region.
- President Xi said that terrorism and violent extremism were on the increase, he alluded to the threat from ISIL.
- There was a brief discussion on NSG, PM said that we look forward to working with China to realise India's membership of NSG
- One round of consultations had already taken place between two sides, President Xi said that second round would be happening soon
- Our broad concerns in the current state conveyed to Chinese side, intention was that both sides should narrow down areas of differences.
- The Chinese side is very well aware of our concerns, need for us to ensure that globally notified terrorists are designated by the UN
- On the Masood Azhar issue, "There is close coordination between India and China on this issue and that particular dialogue will continue.
President Xi lauded India's chairmanship of BRICS, and in particular outreach with BIMSTEC countries which he described as innovative.
PM Modi said that today no country is immune from terrorism, and this is an issue on which we cannot afford to have any differences.
PM Modi said India and China must increase their coordination in context of UN 1267 committee and look for common ground.
Modi-Jinping meet — recognise terrorism as 'key issue' but no word on JeM's Masood Azhar
By NewsX Bureau
| Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 22:37
Goa: Following the ongoing BRICS Summit 2016, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday met Chinese President Xi Jinping in Benaulim, Goa and held bilateral discussions.
Post the Uri attack on Indian Army base, this was the first bilateral meeting between PM Modi and Chinese Xi Jinping.
Here are the highlights of the discussion held between PM Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping