Goa: Speaking at the concluding session of the BRICS Summit 2016, PM Narendra Modi while addressing the media on Sunday said, “The discussions held in the summit were useful and forward looking.”
Earlier in the day, PM Modi while speaking on the issue of terrorism, had indirectly verbally attacked Pakistan and said the “mothership of terrorism” was in India’s neighbourhood and linked to terror modules across the world.
Modi’s speech at the restricted BRICS leaders’ meet, parts of which were tweeted by External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup, also said that the neighbouring country sheltered not just terrorists but also “nurtures a mindset” which backs terrorism for political gains.
Modi called on BRICS countries to work together for early adoption of a Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism and step up practical cooperation against terrorism.
Here are the highlights of PM Modi’s speech at the concluding session of BRICS Summit 2016
- We have adopted the Goa declaration that lays a comprehensive vision for our cooperation within BRICS and international issues.
- BRICS needs to work together and act decisively to end this menace of terrorism.
- We agreed those who nurture, shelter, support and sponsor forces of violence and terror are as much a threat to us as terrorists themselves.
- We were unanimous in recognising the threat that terrorism, extremism and radicalisation presents.
- We welcome the early entry into force of the Paris Climate agreement, India was proud to ratify it on 2nd October this year.
- We underscored the need for close coordination on tracking sources of terrorist financing and target the hardware of terrorism, including weapons’ supplies, ammunition, equipment and training.
- BRICS is committed to strengthen our consultations and cooperation on peace and security matters.
Exhorting the BRICS Business Council to work with member countries for strengthening mutual trade, Prime Minister Narendra Modi also said that events like the first BRICS Trade Fair help to generate greater business awareness and commercial exchanges.
“We count on the BRICS Business Council to work with us to achieve our common aim of strengthening mutual trade, enhancing business opportunities, building investments linkages, promoting innovation and removing bottlenecks to intra-BRICS commerce,” Modi said at a meeting of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) leaders with the BRICS Business Council.
On saturday, during PM Modi, Xi Jinping meet both nations recognised terrorism as ‘key issue,’ however, there was no word on JeM Chief Masood Azhar but no word on JeM’s Masood Azhar.
Also on Saturday, during India-Russia bilateral session, both nation had inked big-ticket defence deals including S-400 Air Defence System and Kamov helicopters.
(With inputs from IANS … )