Agra: A pair of cobras spotted in a housing society’s garden in the Taj city caused panic among the residents.
The pair was caught by personnel of the Wildlife SOS Rapid Response Unit from a residential colony in Dayalbagh, Agra.
Jitendra Shah, a resident of the colony, said: “Some of our fellow society dwellers were out for an evening walk in the garden when they chanced upon the pair of cobras near the bushes. Luckily, we have the Wildlife SOS helpline number on our emergency contact list, so I called them for help”.
A team comprising two trained snake rescuers promptly arrived at the location and successfully carried out the rescue operation, after ensuring that the curious bystanders were at a safe distance from the two venomous snakes.
Kartick Satyanarayan, Co-founder of Wildlife SOS said, “The cobras were five and three feet long respectively. Being one of the four most venomous snake species to be found in India, our team had to be extremely careful while conducting the rescue in order to avoid any unnecessary casualties. A cobra will not attack a human being without provocation but sometimes, the size of a reptile, coupled with the general misunderstanding of snakes, causes people to unnecessarily panic on spotting a snake.”
The cobras are currently under observation and will be released back in their natural habitat once deemed fit.
First Published | 18 October 2016 7:55 PM
Web Title: Cobras cause panic among residents in Agra
(Latest News in English from Newsx)