As a British filmmaker’s interview of one of the December 16 gangrape convicts for a documentary in which he showed no remorse triggered a storm today, government took a serious view of the matter as Delhi Police lodged an FIR and secured a court order restraining the media from carrying the interview.
The parents of the December 16, 2012 gangrape victim reacted angrily to the remarks made by Mukesh Singh in the interview where he seeks to blame their daughter for the horrific incident, calling it shameful and demanded he be hanged.
The FIR, which mentions no name, was registered under IPC sections relating to statements conducing to create public mischief), intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) with intent to cause or which is likely to cause, fear or alarm to the public), word, gesture or act intended to insult modesty of a woman) and under the IT Act provisions of punishment for sending offensive messages through communication service at the Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of Delhi Police.
Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi said “we have registered an FIR on the basis of media reports and we will investigate and whosoever would will be found guilty we will take action against them.”
Late this evening, Delhi Police moved Metropolitan Magistrate Puneet Pahwa at Patiala House here and obtained an order restraining the media from broadcasting, publishing or transmitting the controversial interview till further order, Police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.
The filmmaker Leslee Udwin on her part said the film is her attempt to examine the attitude of men towards women and that there was nothing sensational in it.
Udwin also claimed she took permission from the then Director General of Tijar jail Vimla Mehra before interviewing Mukesh in the prison for BBC.
Taking the incident of the convict being interviewed in custody very “seriously”, Home Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to Tihar jail Director General Alok Kumar Verma and sought a detailed report on it urgently, official sources said.
During the telephonic conversation, the DG briefed the Home Minister about the incident and the action taken so far, the sources said.
In the interview, Mukesh, who was awarded death sentence for the brutal rape and murder of the 23-year-old girl, said the women who went out at night had only themselves to blame if they attracted the attention of gangs of male molesters.
“A girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy,” he had said.
Mukesh also said that had the girl and her friend not tried to fight back, the gang would not have inflicted the savage beating, which led to her death later.
(Latest News in English from Newsx)