New Delhi: Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday addressed the Upper House (Rajya Sabha) of the Parliament and spoke on the issue of demonetisation.
Hitting out at the government over the currency ban, the former Prime Minister said, “PM said wait for 50 days but for the poor section even 50 days can be detrimental.”
* Important to take note of the grievances of the people suffering.
* 60-65 people have lost their lives, what has been done can weaken our people’s confidence in currency and banking system.
* I want to ask PM that can he name any country where people have deposited their money but are not able to withdraw it.
* PM must come with some constructive proposal how we can implement the scheme.
* Cooperative banking sector which is serving large number in rural sector is not operational.
* Monumental mismanagement has been undertaken in implementation of demonetisation.
* I hope that PM will help us find practical ways to give relief to people suffering.
* Those who say demonetisation is good in the long run should recall quote “In the long run we are all dead”.
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh raised his concerns on the ways the demonetisation of old big value currency notes has been implemented when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was present in the House.
Moments later, Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu and Finance Minister Arun Jaitley informed the House that PM Modi will address the issue of demonetisation therefore the House can start its discussions.