As the power struggle between Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister O Panneerselvam and VK Sasikala continues, we bring you the top developments of the saga that happened on Saturday.
The support camp of Panneerselvam has certainly strengthened in the past two days where several All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam’s (AIADMK) venerated politicians extended their support to him.
In the meantime the weakened camp of VK Sasikala is vying to get her back in contention for the ‘hot seat’ of Tamil Nadu. Although, there are rumours doing rounds that Sasikala is mulling a change in the CM face and that K Palanisamy, P Thangamani and KA Sengottaiyan are in the fray.
Things as they happened on Sasikala’s front:
- Sasikala called an all-MLA meeting at Golden Bay Resort in Chennai.
- Post the meeting she said all the MLAs are a tightly knit group and everything is good.
- She lashed out at the governor of Tamil Nadu C Vidyasagar Rao saying her swearing-in was delayed by him to cause rift in the party.
- She issued her intent to approach things differently from Sunday, signalling protests against the governor.
- She termed the MLAs ‘traitors’ who jumped ship to Panneerselvam’s side.
Things as they happened on Panneerselvam’s front:
- Lok Sabha members — Ashok Kumar of Krishnahiri constituency and Sundaram of Namakkal — pledged allegiance to the OPS camp.
- Founding member of the AIADMK C Ponnaiyan and Education Minister K Pandirajan also extended their support to the CM of Tamil Nadu.
- Tirupur MP V Sathyabama and Tiruvannamalai MP R Vanaroja jumped to Panneerselvam’s side as well.
- TN CM’s camp was further bolstered by the backing of MMK’s faction led by Tamim Ansari.
- Later in the day, Panneerselvam started a signature campaign to convert Poes Garden, the residence of late Jayalalithaa now occupied by Sasikala, into a memorial for their beloved Amma.