In a tragic incident being reported from the national capital, over 310 students were hospitalised after they got exposed to a harmful gas which leaked from a container near the school on Friday. Following the gas leak, the nearby schools were evacuated.

The gas leak was reported near a government school, Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya in a railway colony at Tughlakabad area.

Following the leak, Delhi fire services and other concerned authorities were alerted and around seven teams were rushed to the spot in order to contain the leak.

Commenting on the matter, chief fire officer said that the students on the first floor have been affected the most as they were more exposed to the gas which leaked from a container truck parked near the school.

The affected students were admitted to 4 nearby hospitals — Batra Hospital, ESI Hospital, Majidiya Hospital and Apollo Hospital — for check-ups.

The vice principal of the school said, “Some students complained of irritation in eyes and throat due to gas leak; 50-60 students hospitalised”.

Taking the cognizance of the matter, Deputy chief minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia took to his twitter handle and said:

Following the incident, the police and the concerned authorities have reached the spot and are probing the matter.

First Published | 6 May 2017 10:21 AM
Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News. For News in English, follow us on