Hitting out at the Opposition and Congress over the convoy attack row, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday while releasing a statement in Lok Sabha said that Rahul Gandhi was given all the security which he chose to overlook during his visit to Gujarat last week when he was attacked with a stone.
Rajnath Singh said that special arrangements were done for Rahul’s Gujarat visit but the Congress leader did not listen to area police or the SPG officials. “The SPG and the state police asked him to stay in a bullet proof car, but Congress vice president did not pay heed to the security instructions,” added Rajnath.
Speaking further, the minister said that Rahul Gandhi regularly broke the security protocols which was in fact not something new in his case.
“Rahul Gandhi has violated the safety norms at least 100 times in the last 2 years,” said Rajnath. Rahul Gandhi himself violated the security protocol and stopped at places which were not designated, he added.
Taking a jibe at Rahul’s foreign trips, Rajnath Singh said that the Congress vice president took 6 trips abroad and was out for 72 days from India, but never took any SPG cover.
“We want to know where did he go? Why didn’t he take SPG cover,” asked Rajnath Singh.
He added that the House should come to know what Rahul Gandhi was “trying to hide by not taking SPG along on foreign tours”, even when he is a SPG protectee.
The matter came up in the Lok Sabha after Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge raised the issue of the “potentially fatal” attack on Gandhi in Gujarat on August 4.
Kharge said the government was saying terrorists were throwing stones in Kashmir and asked: “which terrorist threw stones in Gujarat”.
The ruckus later forced the Speaker of the House, Sumitra Mahajan to adjourn the House.
Rahul Gandhi and the Congress has repeatedly alleged Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) and RSS behind the attack.