Nine years after he was jailed as the prime accused in 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case that killed six people, Supreme Court on Monday granted conditional bail to Prasad Shrikant Purohit.

Supreme Court in its order said “we set aside the order of Bombay High Court” while granting condition bail to Malegaon blast accused Purohit.

This is a big relief to Col Purohit after he had to approach the apex court following the rejection of his appeal by Bombay High Court in April this year.

Citing the charges against Purohit of grave nature, Bombay HC rejected his plea while another accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur — accused of plotting the blast — was set free on bail.

Earlier, the SC bench of Justice RK Agrawal and Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre while listening to his bail plea last week reserved the order as Purohit told the court that he was in incarceration for the last nine years and was entitled to be granted bail.

Purohit was in the Army before he formed Abhinav Bharat to fight for a Hindu Rashtra.

Denying his involvement in the incident, Purohit told the court that even assuming that the charges that he had supplied the bomb were true, even then he would have to be out of jail as the offence attracted a maximum of seven years jail term.

But the National Investigation Agency (NIA) opposed the bail plea, saying there was evidence of his involvement in the Malegaon blast.

Purohit has challenged the April 25 Bombay High Court order which granted bail to another accused, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.

At least six persons were killed in the explosion in Malegaon in Nashik district on September 29, 2008.

First Published | 21 August 2017 10:47 AM
Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News. For News in English, follow us on