New Delhi: The Border Security Force (BSF) on Thursday said that there had been no intelligence inputs of any terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Udhampur district and it was considered a relatively safe region.
“Two of our men got martyred, 14 got injured out of which one is still critical,” BSF Director General D.K. Pathak told media here.
“Only one BSF jawan was armed in the bus which was attacked. If our jawan had not neutralised the militant then the militant would have caused mayhem. The way he handled the situation is worth praise. It was due to him that many lives were saved.”
Pathak said that there had been no intelligence inputs on the attack.
“For last 20 years, no incident had happened in this area, it was a relatively safe region,” he added.
Giving an insight into the security arrangements in the area, he said: “We keep changing our deployment patten for security reasons.”
For the first time after the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, Indian security forces on Wednesday captured a Pakistani terrorist shortly after militants killed two BSF troopers in Jammu and Kashmir.
Police officials said the young terrorist, identified as Usman alias Qasim Khan, hailed from Faislabad in Pakistan and was linked to the Lashkar-e-Taiba, the group which carried out the horrific 2008 Mumbai terror attack.
Earlier on Thursday, BSF Inspector General Rakesh Kumar said at a media conference in Jammu that its convoy was not the target of the terrorists on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway on Wednesday.
“Our convoy was not the target of the terrorists. They were waiting for some other target when our vehicles reached the spot.”