NEW DELHI: In an effort to wash away the serious controversy, the government on Friday released a video which shows the Pakistani boat blowing up on the intervening night of December 31 and January 1 killing four people on board off the Gujarat coast.
The video has been released after a Coast Guard officer in Gujarat was seen in a video claiming that he had ordered the Pakistani boat to be attacked as it approached the Indian waters.
“I hope you remember the 31st December night. We blew off the Pakistan... we blew them off,” said the Deputy Inspector General with Coast Guard BK Loshali in the video released by The Indian Express newspaper. (Also Read: Indian Express Video: Trouble increases for Coast Guard DIG, seen boasting ‘we blew off the Pakistan’ boat)
The comments from the officer raised a massive controversy as it contradicted the government’s version on the incident.
On the New Year, the Defence Ministry in a statement said that the boat loaded with explosives was intercepted by the Coast Guard as it was planning an indefinite illegal transaction and the people on board set it on fire, causing it to blow up and sink.
The uproar ignited by the remarks made by the DIG forced Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to clarify on the matter where he on Wednesday stated that the government’s stand still remains unchanged. He said that he will review the Coast Guard video where he is seen making the remarks and take action if needed. (Also Read: Pakistan Terror Boat: Government stands by its previous statements, says Manohar Parrikar)
However, the officer later claimed that his remarks had been misinterpreted and that he was not in a position to know what happened to the boat as he was not handling the operation.