KBC chit fund founder's properties sealed: Devendra Fadnavis

By
| Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 16:30
First Published |
Devendra Fadnavis

Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Tuesday said that the properties of KBC chit fund founder have been sealed and a deputy collector has been appointed to auction it.

"The money recovered from the auction of properties valued about Rs 220 crore will be distributed to the investors," Fadnavis said in the state Assembly in response to a debate on the issue through a Calling Attention notice by Chhagan Bhujbal (NCP) and others.

Thousands of small investors, mainly farmers and salaried employees, had invested in the KBC chit fund which was floated by one K Bhausaheb Chavan. The promoter had promised huge returns, but he later absconded and the cheques issued by him bounced.

Fadnavis said the police had arrested the fund owner and seized his passport, but he managed to get court relief and has now fled to Singapore.

"The state police is trying to get him back and has started talks with Singapore authorities through Interpol," he informed the House.

Bhujbal said that investors in Nashik, Hingoli, Parbhani, Nanded, Aurangabad, Beed and other places had been duped of crores of rupees through the KBC chit fund and till last month, the police had not succeeded in nabbing the conspirator.

"So far, six investors have committed suicide. The government has turned a blind eye to the developments. The companies lured people to invest by promising more interest on short-term investment," Bhujbal said claiming that there are economic offences worth Rs 205 crore in Mumbai every month.

Recently, nearly 13,000 investors in the National Spot Exchange lost Rs 5,600 crore and cases were filed by the Economic Offences Wing of city police in this connection.

Several locals invested in schemes like Speak Asia, CT Limouzine, CU Marketing and lost heavily. The police have not taken suo moto action which has enabled the culprits to escape, Bhujbal alleged.

When asked about his recent meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the issue, Digvijay said that he had assured the Congress delegation that the matter would be looked into.

"If nothing happens even after that, I will construe that Modi's claim during election campaign that he will neither eat, nor allow people to eat (referring to making money through unfair means) was a hollow claim," he said.

Holding that this kind of scam had not only happened in Madhya Pradesh but also in Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Gujarat, the senior Congress leader said the BJP knew that if it took action against Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan then it should act against other chief ministers as well.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Chouhan said that after talking about a hard disk, Singh has now brought a "pen drive" as evidence in the MPPEB scam.

Referring to Singh's allegation, he said the problem with him is, "He first levels charges, then gives its evidence, after that he probes it himself and announces the decision on his own."

Despite his petitions being dismissed, he (Singh) doesn't believe in Supreme Court, High Court, Special Investigative Team (SIT) and Special Task Force (STF), the CM said.

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.
 

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.