Patna: A ransom of Rs.75 crore was demanded from the private construction company that employed the two engineers who were killed in Bihar’s Darbhanga district, a company official said on Wednesday.
B.K. Jha, chief project manager of BSC-C&C Joint Venture Ltd., told media persons in Darbhanga, about 200 km from here, that shooter Mukesh Pathak, who works for notorious gangster Santosh Jha, has been demanding levy since August from the company.
“Pathak demanded 10 percent of Rs.750 crore road construction project of the company,” he said.
Two engineers of the company were shot dead by two motorcycle-borne unidentified criminals allegedly for failure to pay the extortion money.
The company official said Pathak called several times between December 16 and 20 for extortion.
“I myself received two such calls from Pathak and base camp project manager Shiv Bachan Singh Yadav also received a similar call.”
The official said the company has faith in Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and his assurance to maintain law and order in the state.
A police probe indicated the involvement of Santosh Jha’s gang. He is currently lodged in Gaya Central Jail.
After the killing, the officer in charge of Baheri police station was suspended on Sunday.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been formed, led by Special Task Force Superintendent of Police Shivdeep Lande.
So far, six suspects have been arrested in this connection.
First Published | 30 December 2015 7:55 PM
Web Title: Rs.75 Crore was demanded in Bihar engineers killing
(Latest News in English from Newsx)