PATNA: After weeks of high drama, Jitan Ram Manjhi on Friday resigned as Bihar Chief Minister ahead of the trust votein the Bihar Assembly. Manjhi submitted his resignation to the state Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi.
Stay here for the live updates:
11:40 AM: Manjhi addresses media after his resignation
- Bihar speaker did not follow traditions, says Manjhi
- Many MLAs and Ministers were being threatened by the JDU: Manjhi
- Floor test would not have been fair: Manjhi
- Was left with no choice but to resign, says Manjhi
- I got death threats before the trust vote, says Manjhi
- Thought I had a chance to serve dalits: Manjhi after his resignation
- I could not work under these conditions, says Manjhi
- Resigned as I was concerned for my MLAs: Manjhi
11:25 AM: Manjhi to address media shortly
11:20 AM: While reacting on Manjhi’s resignation, Lalu Prasad Yadav says, “Manjhi should have quit earlier. He should focus on beating BJP.”
11:00 AM: Nitish Kumar reacts on Manjhi resignation
Former Chief Minister Nitish Kumar reacted on Manjhi’s resignation, saying Manjhi should have resigned earlier.
It was a total waste of 14 days. Needless drama derailed budget session. BJP’s game plan has been exposed, he added.
10:50 AM: Bihar BJP President Mangal Pandey speaks to NewsX, says Manjhi should have shared decision with us. Maha Dalit people will stand against Nitish Kumar.
10:40 AM: After stepping down, Jitan Ram Manjhi calls for the press conference at 11:30 AM
10: 38 AM: Jitan Ram Manjhi resigns as Bihar Chief Minister
10:35 AM: Manjhi meets Bihar Governor ahead of floor test
10:25 AM: Jitan Ram Manjhi goes to Raj Bhawan. He is likely to tender resignation, say sources
10:20 AM: NewsX Exclusive: Leader of Opposition Vijay Chowdhary speaks to NewsX
While speaking to NewsX, Vijay Chowdhary said, we have already won. In his first reaction before the crucial trust vote, he said, “We have the support of 130 MLAs. BJP’s support to Manjhi won’t make any difference, they don’t have the numbers.”