Four tonnes of Maggi products to be destroyed in Goa

| Monday, June 8, 2015 - 19:06
First Published |

Four tonnes of Maggi products to be destroyed in Goa

Panaji: Over four tonnes of Maggi products have been collected by Nestle in Goa and will now be destroyed in the presence of officials of the state Food Drugs Authority, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar said on Monday.

"All stock is being withdrawn. Stocks amounting to something like 4,000-odd kg have been collected by them (Nestle). I have instructed that it is to be destroyed in the presence of FDA officials," Parsekar told reporters on the sidelines of an education department event in Porvorim, near the state capital.

The chief minister has already ordered a ban on Nestle's Maggi products from Monday until further notice.

Goa last week conducted two tests, both of which said the levels of MSG and lead were below permissible levels and therefore the product was safe for consumption.

However, both were rejected by the central government's Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) which called the tests "inappropriate".

The FDA has now sent a fresh sample of Maggi manufactured in a local unit to a Karnataka-based government laboratory for tests on the directions of the FSSAI.

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.