Beware all those who have a habit of taking their phones in the bathrooms. It could prove dangerous to your health and when we talk about dangerous, it means you could lose your life.

A case has surfaced where a British man named Richard Bull (32) lost his life after he was electrocuted while charging an iPhone in the bath.

According to reports, following the judicial probe in the case, it has been termed an accident. The incident occurred when Bull’s iPhone fell into the water in December last year leading to his electrocution. He was found dead by his wife Tanya in the bath.

A Coroner (an official who holds inquests into violent, sudden, or suspicious deaths) Dr Sean Cummings said, “These seem like innocuous devices, but they can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom. They should attach warnings. This was a tragic accident and I have no reason to believe at all that there was anything other than it being completely accidental.”

Cummings said that he also intends to send a report to the Apple, the phone’s manufacturer, to warn about the potential dangers.

While the post-mortem examination reports revealed burns on Bull’s right hand, the police noted that an extension lead was found running from the hallway into the bathroom.

“If you have got any appliance attached to the mains electricity circuit, you have to be aware there is a danger there. You’re risking death,” Sheila Merrill, the public health adviser to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said.

“Electricity and water don’t mix, but particularly with phones, people don’t probably always think about it. It’s not advisable to use them while they’re plugged in, particularly in a bathroom situation,” Merrill added. 

(With inputs from IANS