Madrid: Former England star and European ‘footballer of the year’ in 1978 and 1979, Kevin Keegan believes that Barcelona’s Argentinian star Lionel Messi will grab his fifth Ballon d’Or on January 11 in Zurich.
“I think Messi — it’s his turn,” the former England head coach said in an interview on Wednesday with FIFA.com, adding that “for the last four years” Messi and Real Madrid’s Portuguese striker Cristiano Ronaldo “should have shared it”.
“You could say ‘joint winners Ronaldo and Messi’, because the two of them have been on a different level to everyone,” the former Newcastle United manager added.
Asked about the possibility about another player soon winning the prize, Keegan said Brazilian Neymar and his Uruguayan partner Luis Suarez in Barcelona could do it, reports Efe.
Former Brazilian player Kaka previously claimed that it was only a matter of time before Neymar Jr picked the Ballon d’Or title.