Kolkata: Chasing a total of just 99 runs set by Daredevils, Knight Riders put a wonderful start by not losing out early wickets getting an edge over the Daredevils. It was one of the smartest innings played by Skipper Gautam Gambhir and Robin Uthappa as both went for a partnership of 69 runs. However, Uthappa lost his wicket while trying for a big one. But Skipper Gambhir was there till the end to make sure that he leads the team for the winning run.
In the second match of IPL Season 9, Kolkata Knight Riders dent Daredevils batting order. After winning the toss, KKR decided to field first and really didn't let Daredevils batsmen to set on. One after the other, Daredevils kept on losing their wickets and totally gave up against KKR. It's a tough job now for Daredevils bowlers as KKR only need 99 runs to win in 20 overs. We at NewsX, bring to you the live updates. Stay with us.
Andre Russell was awarded Man of the Match
IPL 2016, KKR vs Daredevils live updates:
Kolkata Knight Riders dents Daredevils, win the game by 9 wickets. An easy victory for King Khan's team
* Four! Two consecutive boundaries by Pandey! KKR 98/1 after 14 Overs.
* Coulter-Nile to Gambhir, and another boundary! KKR 88/1 after 13.1 Overs.
* Morris to Gambhir, the skipper goes for a single on a short length delivery. No boundaries conceded in the over.
* Morris to bowl 13th over, after 3 deliveries, no run conceded. So far a good spell, but they know the game is gone.
* End of 12th Over: Knight Riders 82/1, need 17 runs to win the game.
* Coulter-Nile to Gambhir, Four! A short length outside off stump. Gambhir drives it to the boundary. KKR 80/1 after 11.1 overs.
* Morris to Pandey, Four! Manish there at deep field tries to save the boundary but beated. KKR 78/1 after 11 Overs.
* Morris to G Gambhir, a short length outside off stump, no run conceded.
* End of 10th Over: KKR 69/1, need 30 runs to win the game.
* Out! Mishra gives first breakthrough to his team. Uthappa went for a big one, but gets caught by Morris. KKR 68/1 after 9.4 Overs
* Change in bowling, Mishra to Uthappa and a wide delivery. KKR 66/0 after 9.1 Overs.
* Four! Skipper on it. KKR are going easily here in its chase for 99 runs. 62/0 after 9 Overs.
* Brathwaite to Gambhir, settles for a single. KKR 54/0 after 8.2 Over
* End of 8th Over: KKR 53/0. Need 46 runs to win the game.
* 50 comes up for Knight Riders in 7.2 overs, need 49 runs to win the game.
* Brathwaite to Gambhir, a good length outside off stump, but no run. KKR 49/0 after 7 Overs.
* Brathwaite to Gambhir, a short length just outside off stump, Gambhir settles for a single. KKR 48/0 after 6.2 Overs
* End of 6th Over: KKR 47/0. Two boundaries conceded in the over. Uthappa 30* and Gambhir 15*
* Four! This time its Uthappa, goes for a straight drive. KKR 47/0 after 5.4 Overs.
* Morris to Gambhir, a good length outside off stump again, no run conceded. KKR 42/0 after 5.1 Overs
* Four! Gambhir goes for a straight drive. KKR 42/0 after 5 Overs.
* Khan to Gambhir, he again wants a quick single and makes it this time. KKR 37/0 after 4.3 Overs
* Khan to Gambhir, he wants a quick single but settles for none.
* Khan to Uthappa, a dot delivery. KKR 36/0 after 4.1 Overs
* Four! Uthappa pulls it through the mid-wicket. 36/0 after 4 Overs.
* Morris to Gambhir, goes for a good length delivery just outside off stump. Gambhir settles for a single. KKR 30/0 after 3.1 Overs.
* A good start by Knight Riders, 29/0 after 3 Overs
* Four! Uthappa effortlessly flicks it down to the boundary. KKR 20/0 after 2 Overs.
* Khan to Gambhir, another good length delivery going down leg. Picks up a single. KKR 16/0 after 1.5 Overs.
* Khan to Gambhir, he again pulls it down to the leg side for a Four! KKR 15/0 after 1.4 Overs.
* Skipper Zaheer Khan to Gambhir, and he hits it for the bondary. Four! on a good length delivery. 8/0 after 1.2 Ovres.
* Counter-Nile to Uthappa, he flicks down to leg side and a bounadry in the first over. 4/0 after 1 Overs.
* Counter-Nile to Uthappa, a full length outside off stump and no run. KKR 0/0 after 0.1 Ovrers.
* Coulter-Nile to deliver the first over. Uthappa on strike.
* KKR all set to chase a minor total of just 99 runs. Gautam Gambhir and Robin Uthappa to open for Riders.
* Daredevils set a target of 99 runs for Knight Riders
* Four! Skipper hits his first boundary. DD 98/9 after 17.3 Overs
* Hastings to Coulter-Nile, short length on middle stump, Nile picks up a single. DD 94/9 after 17.1 Overs.
* Chawla to Khan, again no run. Couldn't really tale on the short length delivery outside off stump. DD 93/9 after 17 Overs.
* Chawla to Coulter-Nile, one run on a good length outside off stump.
Four overs to go, where can Daredevils take their innings.
* End of 15th Over: 92/9 after 16 Overs. Coulter-Nine 5* and Zaheer Khan 0*
* Wicket down! A full length just outside off stump and Mishra couldn't take it, goes for 3. DD 92/9 after 15.4 Overs
* Chawla to Coulter-Nile, another good length delivery on middle stump.
* Chawla to Mishra, and goes for a single. DD 90/8 after 14.2 Overs.
* Another Wicket down. Samson goes for 15. A tough job coming for Daredevils bowlers in the second half of the match. DD 89/8 after 14 Overs.
* Out! Chawla picks up another one. Morris goes for 11. DD 84/7 after 13 Overs.
* Chawla to Morris and a needed boundary for Daredevils. 84/6 after 12.4 Overs.
* Samson and Morris on the field.
* Daredevils in trouble, Score 80/6 after 12 overs
* Hogg to Negi, and an LBW appeal but saved. DD 53/4 after 9.1 Overs
* Strategic time!
* 50 comes up for Daredevils. Score 53/4 after 9 Overs.
* Yadav to Samson, and just a single on a short length delivery going down leg. DD 50/4 after 8.1 Overs
* Six! Pawan Negi hits his first boundary. DD 49/4 after 8 Overs.
* Munro to Samson, shoots a short length delivery just outside off stump and just a single. DD 43/4 after 7.1 Overs.
* End of 7th Over: Comparitively reasonable over for Dardevils. One boundary conceded. DD 42/4 after 7 Overs
* Four! Samson hits a needed boundary for Daredevils. DD 39/4 after 6.1 Overs
* End of 6th Over: Daredevils lose early wickerts. Score 35/4.
* Hastings to Nair, and another wicket, Pandey caught Nair, goes for 3 runs. Daredevils in trouble now. Score 35/4 after 5.4 Overs.
* Hastings on attack now. Nair on strike, a good length delivery outside off stump and no run. DD 35/3 after 5.1 Overs.
* Russell to Agarwal, he flicks it to the boundary but caught. Top order of Daredevils collapses. Score 35/3 after 5 Overs
* KKR strike in quick succession, DD on backfoot, Score 26/2 after 4 overs.
* Out! again. Russel picking up early breakthrougs for KKR. Iyer goes for a duck. DD 25/2.
* Russell to Kock, and its Out! Caught by Yusuf Pathan, goes for 17 runs. DD 25/1 after 2.2 Overs.
* End of 2nd Over: A good over for Daredevils, a boundary and Six conceded in the over. DD 24/0.
* Yadav to Kock and he goes for a first big one. Six! DD 23/0 after 1.5 Overs.
* Yadav to Kock and its a Four! A short length outside off stump and another boundary for DD. Score 17/0 after 1.4 Overs
* Russell to Kock, short length going down leg, just two runs. DD 13/0 after 1 over
* Four! on the first ball! What a start to the innings. DD 4/0 after 0.1 Overs
* Mayank Agarwal and Quinton de Kock to open for Delhi Daredevils
* Kolkata Knight Riders team mates having a group chat
* Umpries are on the field
* The match will be live in 2 minutes
* Kolkata Knight Riders win the toss and elect to field
The Kolkata Knight Riders are all set to take on the Delhi Daredevils in the second game of IPL 2016 at Eden Gardens on Sunday. Shah Rukh Khan’s KKR, who have already bagged two titles, would be eyeing for a winning start against the Daredevils.
However, the DDs, who have not been lucky enough to win the title in the past eight seasons of the IPL, will be expecting a better performance. The team, on papers, also appears as one the strong contenders this season.
Talking about KKR, skipper Gautam Gambhir, who has led his team to two titles under his leadership, was out of form in the previous season and would definitely be eyeing an explosive comeback.
Another Knight Riders’ batsman, who will be on experts’ radar is Manish Pandey, especially after his ton' against Australia in the five match ODI series. Pandey had also replaced Yuvraj Singh in recently concluded WT20 in the semi-finals against West Indies.
Head-to-head, Kolkata Knight Riders have an edge over Delhi Daredevils, leading by 5-4 in the nine matches they have played each other.
Shakib Ali Hasan and New Zealands' Colin Munro could turn out to be the key players for KKR. Another kid on the block, Suryakumar Yadav, who has been in sensational form, can also prove to a thorn in Delhi Daredevils’ ambitions.
Daredevils supporters will be excited to see how the team skipper Zaheer Khan handles the squad with big names like Chris Morris and Sanju Samson. However, all eyes will be on Carlos Brathwaite, who, with his blasting performance in the World T20, won the title for West Indies. The burly all-rounder from Barbados slammed four sixes in a row in the final over to snatch the game away from England helping West Indies to their second WT20 title.
Kolkata Knight Riders: Gautam Gambhir (c), Robin Uthappa (wk), Manish Pandey, Colin Munro, Suryakumar Yadav, Shakib Al Hasan, Yusuf Pathan, Andre Russell, Piyush Chawla, Umesh Yadav and Morne Morkel
Delhi Daredevils: Mayank Agarwal, Sanju Samson (wk), Shreyas Iyer, Karun Nair, JP Duminy, Carlos Brathwaite, Mahipal Lomror, Imran Tahir, Amit Mishra, Zaheer Khan (c), Nathan Coulter-Nile.