Mohali: Riding on Aaron Finch’s swashbuckling 74 off 47, and his partnership with Dinesh Karthik (41 off 26), the Gujarat Lions, in their debut IPL game, humbled old warhorse Kings XI Punjab in their own backyard on Monday.
Aaron Finch was awarded Man of the Match for his spectacular 74-run innings.
After losing the toss to Gujarat Lions, Kings Eleven Punjab had a blistering start as both Vijay and Vohra hit some marvellous shots. Both, however, lost their respective wickets when KXIP were close to 50, but Gujarat could not stop the scorecard from ticking as Miller and Saha found the ropes at regular intervals.
However, Maxwell disappointed the team when he lost his wicket after scoring just 2 runs. Later it was Stoinis whose 33-run innings helped KXIP to set a target of 162 runs for Gujarat Lions. We at NewsX, bring to you the live updates. Stay with us.
Gujarat Lions beat Kings Eleven Punjab by 5 wickets
* Four! Boundary for GL, 155/5, need 7 runs to win the game
* Johnson to Kishan, he hits it for a big one, but gets caught, needed wicket for KXIP, anything can happen from now. GL 151/5 after 16.5 overs
* Johnson to Kishan, a short length going down leg, and another boundary. KXIP has less chances now. GL 151/4 after 16.4 overs.
* Again, another Four! Two consecutive boundaries for GL. 146/3 after 16.1 overs
* Boundary! A good shot by Kishan. Brings down some pressure from GL.
* Sahu to Kishan, again a good length just outside off stump, but no run.
* Sahu to Kishan, 1 leg bye.
* After 15 overs, Gujarat Lions are 134/4
* Johnson to Karthik, a good one on the middle stump, Karthik tries to pick a single, there is chance for a run out, and it is. Breakthrough for KXIP. GL 133/4 after 14.3 over.
* End of 14th Over: GL 130/3
* Sahu to Jadeja, again a full length delivery on middle stump. Two runs conceded. GL 133/3 after 13.4 overs
* Sahu to Jadeja, a full length delivery on the middle stump, just a single. GL 122/3 after 13.1 overs.
* End of 13th over: GL 121/3. Karthik and Jadeja leading the charge
* Sahu to Finch and he’s stumped by Wriddhiman. A needed breakthrough for KXIP. Finch goes for 74. GL 117/3.
* Four! Finch hits this one hard. 117/2 after 11.4 overs.
* End of 11th over: GL 107/2.
* 100 comes up for Gujarat Lions, GL 100/2 after 10.2 overs, need 62 to win
* Sahu to Finch, and he hits it down for a wonderful for a Four! GL 98/2 after 10 overs
* End of 9th over: GL 90/2. Going good at the moment.
* Another Four! Superb shot. At the end of 8th over, GL 83/2.
* Stoinis to Finch, Four! A short length on off stump. Lions are 79 at the fall of two wickets.
* Arin Finch and Dinesh Karthik leading the charge for GL
* Gujarat Lions loses 2nd wicket, Raina goes for 20, GL 68/2 after 7 overs
* Breakthrough for Raina! goes for 20. GL 57/2 after 6 overs
* Johnson to Finch, Four! Short length just outside off stump.
* End of 5th Over: GL 45/1
* Johnson to Raina and just a single. GL 44/1 after 4.5 overs
* Four! Finch at it this time. GL 42/1 after 4.3 overs
* Sharma to Raina, and another Four! shoots it down on a short length on middle stump. GL 36/1 after 4 overs
* Another boundary! Finch at it again. GL 31/1 after 3.2 overs
* Four! Boundaries have started coming for the Gujarat Lions here.
* Sandeep to Raina, Six! A Good length just outside off stump, and Raina hits a big one. It’s 23/1 after 3 overs
* Sandeep Sharma to Finch, good length just outside off stump. 1 run conceded. GL 13/1 after 2.3 overs
* Johnson to Finch and another Four! A good over for Lions. 12/1 after 2 overs.
* Johnson to Finch, and a Four! Good come back by Lions.
* Out! Sharma picks up the big man McCullum. Not a good start by Gujrarat Lions, 1/1 after 1st over
* Sandeep Sharma to Finch, good length on off stump, just a single. GL 1/0 after 0.5 overs
* KXIP set a target of 162 for Gujarat Lions
* Bravo to Stoinis, another down, Stoinis goes. He goes out for a big one but fall just short of the boundary. KXIP 157/6 after 19.4 voers.
* Bravo to Saha and he breaks the partnership. Wicket! Saha goes for 20.
* Anohter boundary for Punjab, a full lenth delivery and Stoinis flicks it down for a Four!
* KXIP touches the 150 mark after 18.4 overs, 4 wickets down
* Four! Stoinis takes on Kumar and hits down for a boundary. KXIP 146/4 after 18 overs
* Kumar to Saha, a full length going down leg, Saha picks up an easy single. KXIP 138/4 after 17.2 overs
* Faulkner to Stoinis, again a full length delivery just outside the off stump, two runs conceded. KXIP 136/4 afer 17 overs
* Faulkner to Saha, full length outside off stump, and a dot ball. KXIP 131/4 after 16.2 overs
* Startegic timeout
* Kumar to Stoinis, full length on leg stump, just two runs. KXIP 130/4 after 16 overs. No boundaries conceded in the over.
* End of 15th Over: KXIP 125/4. Saha 8* and Stoinis 14*
* Faulkner to Stoinis, Four! There was a gap in some boundaries after Maxwell and Miller’s dismissal, but KXIP have started again. KXIP 122/4 after 14.3 overs.
* Faulkner to Saha, a short length outside off stump, just a single. KXIP 115/4 after 14.1 overs
* Bravo to Stoinis and he pulls for it away for a Four! Marvellous shot! KXIP 114/4 after 14 overs
* Bravo to Saha, a full toss delivery, just outside off stump, just a single. KXIP 108/4 after 13.1 overs
* Bravo picks up David Miller, disaster for KXIP, 107/4 after 13 overs
— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) April 11, 2016
* Killer Miller gone, bravo takes him, not good for Punjab, is it the turning point of the game. KXIP 102/4 after 12.1 overs
* Another blow for Punjab, Bravo picks up Maxwell, goes for 2, KXIP 101/3 after 11.4 overs
* 100 comes up for Punjab, Miller and Maxwell on the crease. KXIP 101/2 after 11.1 overs
* Jadeja to Miller and he goes for a big one. Miller has started in his style. What a shot! KXIP 99/2 after 11 Overs.
* Jadeja to Vijay, and he has stuck hard this time, picks up Vijay, goes for 42. KXIP 91/2 after 10.4 overs
* Bravo to Vijay, a short length on middle stump, but no run conceded. KXIP 87/1 after 10 Overs.
* Bravo to Vijay, good length just outside off stump, just a single.
* End of 9th Over: KXIP 82/1.
* Wicket! Jadeja takes the danger man out. Stumped by karthik. Vohra goes for 38 but he has done his job, gave a bursting start to his team. KXIP 78/1 after 8.2 Overs.
* Six! again… smashed over the mid-wicket.
* A huge huge hit by Vohra. Six! KXIP is crushing Gujarat lions here.
* Ladda to Vijay, good length going down leg but no run. KXIP 60/0 after 7.3 overs
* End of 6th Over: KXIP 51/0. Great over for the team.
* Explosive start by Punjab, 50 comes up for the team.
* Four! Two back to back boundaries coming there for KXIP. Spectacular start by the Punjabs here. 45/0 after 5 overs
* Faulkner to Vohra, he hits it for a big one and Bravo under it but he has dropped it. Vohra saved.
* Faulkner to Vohra and what a Four! KXIP have put a good start. 35/0 after 4.1 Overs
* End of 4rth Over: KXIP 31/0.
* Sangwan to Vijay and hits down for the first Six! of the innings. KXIP 13/0 after 2 overs.
* Sangwan to Vijay, a good length just outside off stump but no run. KXIP 3/0 after 1.4 overs.
* End of 1st Over: KXIP 3/0. No boundaries conceded in the over
* Kumar to Vijay, on a full length on middle stump, goes for a single. KXIP 2/0 after 0.4 overs.
* Umpires on the field
* Gujarat Lions win the toss, elect to bowl
In the third clash of IPL 2016, the Kings XI Punjab are ready to take on the new franchise Gujarat Lions in Mohali.
For the Kings XI Punjab, co-owned by Bollywood’s bubbly girl, Priety Zinta, it has been a mixed experience for Punjab throughout the 8 seasons of the IPL. There have been times when the team had raised hopes of its fans to grab the title but somehow couldn’t make it. So will this be the season when it will have all its cards in place, especially under the captaincy of David Miller. Will the Kings be able to rule over the Lions which will be playing its first match this season?
On the flip side, it’s the Gujarat Lions, a new franchise, led by Suresh Raina who would definitely try to cash over Punjab’s lack of confidence. Having filled the team with players like Brendon McCullum, Aaron Finch, Dwayne Bravo, Ravindra Jadeja and James Faulkner, Gujarat definitely has some edge over the Punjab XI. The only weakness of the Gujarat side is the gap in the pace-bowling attack, and if Punjab can catch this weak nerve, then it would be an advantage for them.
It would be a delight to watch match winners Shaun Marsh, David Miller, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Johnson, Dwayne Bravo, Brendon McCullum, Ravinder Jadeja, Suresh Raina do their thing.
Kings XI Punjab: David Miller (c), Kyle Abbott, Murali Vijay, Manan Vohra, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Anureet Singh, Axar Patel, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Pardeep Sahu, Sandeep Sharma, Mohit Sharma, Marcus Stoinis, Swapnil Singh, Armaan Jaffer, Farhaan Behardien, KC Cariappa, Rishi Dhawan, Gurkeerat Singh Mann, Nikhil Naik, Shardul Thakur.
Gujarat Lions: Suresh Raina (c), Dwayne Bravo, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Brendon McCullum, Dwayne Smith, Dale Steyn, Pravin Tambe, Ishan Kishan, Ravindra Jadeja, Shadab Jakati, Dinesh Karthik, Shivil Kaushik, Dhawal Kulkarni, Praveen Kumar, Pradeep Sangwan, Jaydev Shah, Umang Sharma, Andrew Tye, Sarabjit Ladda, Akshdeep Nath, Amit Mishra, Paras Dogra, Eklavya
First Published | 11 April 2016 7:58 PM
Web Title: IPL 2016 — KXIP vs GL: Gujarat Lions beat Kings XI Punjab by 5 wickets
(Latest News in English from Newsx)