Nice: The family of late Formula One driver Jules Bianchi has started legal action against the sport’s governing body following his death last year.
The then 25-year-old suffered severe head injuries when he hit a mobile crane at the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka in October 2014. He died on July 17, 2015, after being in coma for nine months.
A British law firm, acting for the Bianchi family, is planning to take to court the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), Bianchi’s team Marussia and the Formula Obe Group, owned by Bernie Ecclestone.
“Jules Bianchi’s death was avoidable,” lawyer Julian Chamberlayne said in an interview on Thursday.
The family claims there were errors made in the “planning, timing, organisation and conduct of the race”, which they argue “took place in dangerous conditions during the typhoon season in Japan”.
“We seek justice for Jules and want to establish the truth about the decisions that led to our son’s crash,” Bianchi’s father Phillipe said.
“We have so many unanswered questions and feel that Jules’ accident and death could have been avoided if a series of mistakes had not been made.”