SYDNEY: Cricket giants Sachin Tendulkar and Shane Warne are intending to start a fresh Twenty20 (T20) competition for former international players, reports said on Friday.
According to the unofficial reports, the former Australian cricketer and the ‘God of Cricket’ offered 28 big names of the former players’ contract worth $US25, 000 a match. 15 Twenty20 games have been so far planned for the Cricket All Stars League over a 42-month period.
As mentioned in an Australian newspaper, players that are supposed to have been contacted included Australians Brett Lee, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist and Glenn McGrath, along with Michael Vaughan and Andrew Flintoff from England, and South African Jacques Kallis. However, none of the players were keen to discuss about the proposal when contacted and there were concerns about the clause to sign a one-page contract with the promise of more details to follow.
“Warne is in Britain but has been actively spruiking (promoting) the idea. He hinted this year that he and Tendulkar had formed a business that would be launching during the year,” it said.
On the other hand, Neil Maxwell, Manager of Bret Lee confirmed that his boss received an offer to play in the Cricket All Stars League.
“I cannot see anything wrong with it, it is a group of retired blokes playing a game of cricket,” Maxwell told Fox Sports on Friday.
The newspaper further added that if the Cricket All Stars League goes on, it is likely to affect some domestic Twenty20 competitions such as Australia’s Big Bash League and the Indian Premier League (IPL), which time and again comprise of ex-international cricketers.
In the supposed proposal, a series of matches will be held across the globe over a three-and-a-half-year period, with the USA to host the first series in September.
New York, Los Angeles and Chicago were named as the foremost contenders to host the matches in the US.
(With Agency Inputs)
(Latest News in English from Newsx)