US swimmer James Feigen apologises for made-up robbery story

| Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 20:41
First Published |
James feigen, swimmer, robbery, Ryan Lochte, rio 2016 olympics

He also apologises for the delay in his statement on the issue

New York: American Olympic swimmer James Feigen issued a formal apology on Wednesday for causing "serious distractions" at the Rio Olympics with his made-up story about robbery.

American swimmer Ryan Lochte on August 14 alleged he and three other fellow Olympians Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and James Feigen, had been robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro by people claiming to be police officers, reports Sputnik.

Last week, Brazilian Chief of Civil Police Fernando Veloso said that the US Olympic swimmers' claims about being robbed in Rio had proven to be false.

(Also Read: What would Ryan Lochte do? US swimmer loses major sponsors after Rio robbery scandal)

"First and foremost, I would like to apologise for the serious distractions from the Olympics, Rio de Janeiro, and Team USA. It was never my intent to draw attention away from the tradition of athletic competition and the symbolic cooperation of countries participating in the Olympic games," Feigen said in a statement released through his attorneys.

He also apologised for the delay in his statement on the issue.

Feigen has become the third US sportsman involved in the Rio gas station alleged robbery scandal to provide details to speak publicly on the issue. Lochte apologised on August 19 for his behaviour followed by Bentz.

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.