New Delhi: India’s premier domestic tournament, Ranji Trophy began on Thursday with the new idea of experimenting with neutral venues, proposed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for the first time.
However, the idea of neutral venue is a big hit, but the threat of rain disruption remains a problem.
Ranji Trophy’s last season’s champions, Mumbai will open the season against Tamil Nadu in Lahli.
Unmukt Chand will be leading the team of Delhi. Delhi’s coach KP Bhaskar expressed his concern over the rain factor and said, “There was heavy downpour on Wednesday and that’s why we didn’t have nets. Hopefully the rain stays away tomorrow and we get to start the match on time. It would be nice to start on a winning note.”
Yuvraj Singh will lead his team of Punjab in the first match of the tournament, as off-spinner Harbhajan Singh is not available for the first match.
The list of the other matches to be held on Thursday along with their venues is as follows:
– Baroda vs Gujarat in Jaipur
– Jharkhand vs Maharashtra in Delhi
– Odisha vs Vidarbha in Vizag
– Chhattisgarh vs Tripura in Ranchi
– Goa vs Hyderabad in Nagpur
– Haryana vs Services in Mumbai
– Kerala vs Jammu and Kashmir in Kalyani
– Madhya Pradesh vs Uttar Pradesh in Hyderabad
– Andhra vs Himachal Pradesh in Bhubaneshwar