Happy Birthday Anil Kumble! A look at 5 interesting facts about ‘Jumbo’
| Monday, October 17, 2016 - 14:11
New Delhi: Legendary spinner and Team India cricket coach Anil Kumble is celebrating his 46th birthday today. On the occasion, we bring to you 5 interesting facts about the cricketer you ought to know.
• Kumble is considered one of the best spinners cricket has ever seen, but very few people know that the leg-spinner began his career as a medium-pacer. Surprising right?
• Who said that sports and studies can’t go together? The cricketer holds a degree in mechanical engineering from Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering. Well, you can certainly take a few tips from him on sports-studies balance.
• Kumble was the fastest Indian bowler to reach 50 Test wickets, a feat he achieved in 10 Test matches. However, his record was broken by current spin sensation R. Ashwin who achieved this in only 9 Tests. Whoa! We have another legend-in-making.
• Kumble holds the record for maximum number of caught and dismissals in Tests (25). Well, that shows what a fine fielder he was!
• Kumble is only the 2nd bowler after England‘s Jim Laker to take all 10 wickets in a Test innings. He achieved the feat against Pakistan at the Feroze Shah Kotla in 1998 picking up all 10 wickets and giving away only 74 runs.
Well, as the legend gets ready to blow out 46 candles, we wish him a very happy birthday and hope he takes Indian cricket to new heights as a coach.