Panjim : After a successful inaugural season last year, Force Gurkha Rainforest Challenge (RFC) is all set for the start of its second edition here on Saturday.
The second season of India’s only international off-road motorsport event will be held from July 25-31 in different parts of Goa. Twenty three teams from across the country, including two teams from Goa will compete for the 2015 trophy.
Participating teams, each with a driver and co-driver, will have to fight the rain, mud, steep slippery slopes, deep ruts, gullies, flooded rivers and landslides to reach their ultimate goal.
The teams will have to compete in 24 Special Stages (SS) which are divided into four sections, Prologue, Predator, Terminator and Twilight.
Through 24 SS, the competition tests the driving and vehicle recovery skills of the competitors under extreme off-road conditions.
The seven-day event will see the first leg taking place at the Rajiv Gandhi IT Habitat in Dona Paula, where the spectators can come and have an experience of a lifetime.
After the completion of the first leg, the motorsport extravaganza will be conducted in various off-road and extreme conditions in Quepem (South Goa, Sanguem (South Goa) and Sattari (North Goa).
The competitors will have to compete various special stages within a given time. Points will be given to teams for successful completion of SS. The team with the maximum points at the end of the 24 SS will be announced as the winner of the event.
Points will be deducted for not starting or finishing an SS and for not following to the event rules and regulations.
Speaking on the launch of the second edition, founder of RFC Luis J.A. Wee said he expects a bigger and better performance from the drivers after a successful inaugural event.
“After a successful inaugural season, we all expect to see a bigger and better performance from the teams. The upgrading this time has been tremendous. In next few days a lot of passion will be put into action,” Wee said while addressing the media at a press conference here on Friday.
“I was amazed to see the caliber and zeal among Indian off-roader in the season 1. We will make sure the quality of performance in RFC India matches with Malaysia, where the main event will be held later in the year,” he said.
On Friday, the drivers were briefed and their vehicles were scrutinised by an expert panel to comply with international safety standards.
Force Motors who are the title sponsor, had two of its teams at the top two position in 2014. Force Motors managing director Prasan Firodia said he expects his team to continue the good work.
“I hope we can hold on to the winning streak. I am sure the competition will be extremely fierce,” he said.
The inaugural edition of the off-roading motorsport event was held in Goa from August 8-14. The RFC was brought to India by the Delhi-based Cougar Motorsport Pvt. Ltd.