The International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) on Friday announced the shortlisted players for their elite Best FIFA Football Awards.
The award ceremony which is scheduled to be held in London, on October 23 will see a host of football players, managers and fans getting honoured for their best services to the game.
FIFA Men’s best player:
Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo alongside Barcelona ace Lionel Messi and Brazilian forward Neymar has been nominated for the title of Best footballer in the men’s category.
Ronaldo, who was phenomenal in Real Madrid’s 2nd straight Champions League triumph is the most tipped among the three to grab the coveted prize. The Champions League winner netted 25 goals in his 29 appearances for the Los Blancos, playing a key role in both La Liga and Champions League top finish. The Portuguese also scored 13 for his national side making 13 appearances in various competitions. He also captained his side to a victory in the UEFA Euro Cup, 2016.
However, Messi’s talismanic performance for Barcelona can see the Argentine outclass his opponents. He has scored a staggering 37 goals in 34 appearances for the Catalan giants in 2016-17 season. The copa del Rey winner was also La Liga’s top scorer last season.
Neymar is another big name in the list, the former Barcelona forward become the most expensive footballer in the history by securing a sensational transfer to French club PSG. His records don’t match up to his competitors as he has managed only 13 goals in his 30 appearances for Barcelona in 2016-17. Neymar also has 6 goals in his name from 2 appearances he made for his national side.
Both Messi and Ronaldo have previously battled for the honour and are once again the favourites to grace the title.
Best Men’s coach
Three champion coaches are competing for the Best FIFA Men’s Coach: Zinedine Zidane, who led Real Madrid to win their 12th Champions League and another La Liga title, Massimiliano Allegri, who steered Juventus to clinch the Serie A title and into the Champions League final, and Antonio Conte, after Chelsea won the English Premier League EPL) title.
Best Men’s goalkeeper
For the best goalkeeper award, veteran Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus) was competing with Keylor Navas (Real Madrid) and Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich).
The full list of announcements:
* Cristiano Ronaldo (POR / Real Madrid)
* Lionel Messi (ARG – FC Barcelona)
* Neymar (BRA – FC Barcelona/Paris Saint-Germain)
* Deyna Castellanos (VEN – Santa Clarita Blue Heat/Florida State Seminoles)
* Carli Lloyd (USA – Houston Dash/Manchester City Women)
* Lieke Martens (NED – FC Barcelona Femeni)
* Massimiliano Allegri (ITA – Juventus)
* Antonio Conte (ITA – Chelsea)
* Zinedine Zidane (FRA – Real Madrid)
* Nils Nielsen (DEN – Danish national team)
* Gerard Precheur (FRA – Olympique Lyonnais Feminin)
* Sarina Wiegman (NED – Netherlands national team)
* Gianluigi Buffon (ITA – Juventus)
* Keylor Navas (CRC – Real Madrid)
* Manuel Neuer (GER – FC Bayern Munich)
* Kevin-Prince Boateng (Las Palmas)
* Alejandro Camargo (Universidad de Concepcion)
* Deyna Castellanos (Venezuela U-17)
* Moussa Dembele (Celtic)
* Olivier Giroud (Arsenal)
* Aviles Hurtado (Tijuana Xolos)
* Mario Mandzukic (Juventus)
* Oscarine Masuluke (Baroka FC)
* Nemanja Matic (Chelsea)
* Jordi Mboula (FC Barcelona U-19)
* Borussia Dortmund supporters
* Celtic supporters
* FC Copenhagen supporters