If the reports are to be believed, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is likely to demand a compensation of $ 70 Million from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for calling off the India vs Pakistan bilateral series. Earlier, following the tensions between the two nations, BCCI had that averse to a bilateral series with Pakistan. However, the series is possible only if the government gives the go-ahead, it said.
According to the sources, PCB is expected to file claim with disputes resolution committee of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in coming days. The two nations, in 2014, had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) stating that India and Pakistan will play 6 bilateral series from 2015 to 2023.
According to the signed agreement the two nations were to play 4 out of 6 matches on Pakistan’s home ground.
The demand for the compensation comes in as the PCB was expected to generate bulk of revenue in this period of time, but due to the border tensions between the two nations BCCI had denied playing the series. Following the denial from the BCCI, PCB is expected to suffer massive losses.
On May 30, Union Sports Minister, Vijay Goel had said that following the current scenarios, the bilateral series between India and Pakistan will not be possible. While addressing the media in the national capital, Sports minister said that the terrorism and cricket cannot go hand in hand.
He also said that BCCI should talk to government first before giving any proposal as bilateral series in the current situation is not possible.
Previously, The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had also demanded compensation close to USD 60 million from the BCCI for not honouring the MoU signed when N Srinivasan was at the helm of affairs in the Indian board.